[Foundation-l] largest free content website

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:47:45 UTC 2011

Right.  NARA has 5 billion pages of PD content online, as I learned
this morning.  Is it 'a website'?

The Internet Archive and many others include roughly 2 million PD
books, just under 1 billion pages of text.

Flickr Commons has many times the # of free content photos of WM Commons.

What sets WM projects apart is the amount of curation and collection
management that has gone into it, making the vast majority of the work
both well and consistently categorized, revised and improved where
possible to remove duplicates and mistakes, and sifted to filter up
material that is both useful for general education, and can be cross
connected or linked with other such material [via both internal links
and citations].

In that sense, Wikimedia is the largest online project I know of.

But if we wanted to make wikisource a repository for all free content
licensed material available anywhere online, it would become 100x to
1000x the size of all other projects combined.

SJ

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 July 2011 07:26, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is Wikipedia the largest "free content" website?  i.e. website
>> consisting primarily of free content.
>>
>> http://freedomdefined.org/
>>
>> The only competitors that I can think of are
>>
>> 1. Project Gutenberg, however they have a few free-gratis etexts
>> sprinkled through their collection.
>>
>> 2. Million Books Project http://www.ulib.org/
>
> In terms of raw data the answer is no. wikimedia commons is larger.
>
> Other than that you are probably mostly looking at US goverment stuff.
> The patent office for example.
>

> --
> geni

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266