[Foundation-l] largest free content website

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:38:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 July 2011 09:20, M. Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, and I'm sure Wikipedia also has lots of copyrighted and dubious
>> content, as hard as we try...
>

> We're reaching the stage of arguing category membership. This suggests
> stepping back:
>
> John, what do you anticipate as the useful purpose for the answer to
> the original question of "largest free content site"?
>
> (There may be no non-fuzzy answer.)

By "free content", I mean [[free content]], which can include
fair-use/fair-dealing, and possibly including a small proportion of
non-free if it is well described.

Wikipedia is the most popular free content website.

http://www.alexa.com/topsites

I'm wondering if it is also safe to say that Wikipedia is the largest
free content website.

--
John Vandenberg