[Foundation-l] Merge wikis

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at gmx.de
Wed Jul 6 19:37:02 UTC 2011

Am 05.07.11 14:39 schrieb Alec Conroy:

>> I beg your pardon, but Ziko and WereSpielChequers are absolutely right
>> here. You won't manage to introduce another brand name after ten years
>> of Wikipedia.
>
> Not only CAN you introduce such a 'movement' brand name, but such a
> name is inevitable.    Mediawiki is becoming ubiquitous and easier to
> use every day.  As our movement and its projects undergo rapid
> diversification, there WILL be a name for the movement that takes the
> "The Wikipedia Vision" and  extends it to every kind of content
> imaginable.
>
> That paradigm shift is going to happen-- indeed it's already well
> underway.

Well, not in this country. Whenever I have a talk to non-wikipedians I
have to explain at lengths what Wikipedia, Wikimedia, Mediawiki, etc.
are all about. To put it bluntly, this collection of terms and projects
is a complete mess, and it is no good because it just does not make any
sense to split it all up into parts and pieces. Wikimedia is not the
umbrella for all to hide underneath because hardly anybody knows it.
People don't (and, they won't ever) say, let's look it up in Wikimedia,
but rather in Wikipedia. You won't succeed if you would try to change
it. So, get real, please. The fact is that Wikipedia made it into Duden,
not Wikimedia.

Regards,
Jürgen.