[Foundation-l] Merge wikis

Arlen Beiler arlenbee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:27:52 UTC 2011

I like a lot of what has been said, and would like to add my part.

Milos Rancic wrote:

There are two types of Wikimedia projects: those which could be
> reasonably treated as extensions of Wikipedia and those which couldn't
> be. For example, Wiktionary (as it is presently) and Wikibooks are
> obvious extensions of Wikipedia: If you need shorter definitions, more
> philological than encyclopedic, you would put that in the form of
> dictionary. If you need to write in depth about some topic, you would
> use the form of book.

While I agree that Wiktionary looks like it would be an extension of
Wikipedia, it would definitely need it's own namespace. I don't have any
experience on it, so I don't know what they're opinion is. As for Wikibooks,
it would never work. They are two different projects entirely. You can't
write in-depth on a topic without leaving an encyclopedic form of writing
and that would never work on Wikipedia.

Wikisource isn't going to merge for obvious reasons, just in case anyone is
still wondering. Nor is Wikiversity, since Wikipedia would go up in smoke.
WikiQuotes hardly sounds like an encyclopedia. Wikinews is too dynamic and
has it's own set of problems to merge easily. It could be done though if
given it's own namespace, and Wikipedia would definitely benefit. There are
logistical problems though that would have to be dealt with. I'm not even
sure why there is a WikiSpecies, though I have hardly looked at it.

I like the sound of "WikiCommons", it makes it sound as important as the
others while still keeping the Common idea.