[Foundation-l] Merge wikis

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 12:24:29 UTC 2011

>> Clarify: I mean new namespaces are the best way forward for our
>> Meta-type content ("Strategy:", "Outreach:", "Research:", etc).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>
> Thanks for clarifying Richard.  I agree with merging those meta
> projects together.

Right now, we're host to an assortment of projects, a collection of
communities more than a single community.  If we want to grow-- if we
want to become a coherent global movement with a coherent global
community,  we need to work on reducing these inter-project barriers.

There are two very different strategies for how to do that.

The first strategy is to merge whenever possible.   Try to
designate/create a global space for ANYTHING meta, movement, or
user-space style social content.    So, for example, instead of being
forced maintain multiple users pages, a user could have a single
'central'  user page on the uberproject. (if they chose).

But there is another way we could do this.  This second strategy is to
keep separate things separate, but to reduce barriers across the
'separate' projects.  Instead of fully merging, we just make it much
much easier to 'connect' across projects.  So, for example, creating a
central set of global, multilingual templates that can be 'pulled'
into any project.

Two different strategies in two different directions.
To succeed, we're going to need them both.