[Foundation-l] Merge wikis

Aaron Adrignola aaron.adrignola at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:57:20 UTC 2011

> From: Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 14:48:09 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Merge wikis
>
> That discussion was interesting for this one, because it brings up issues
> such as that merging even a relatively small wiki like ten (565 content
> pages, 3,204 total pages) into Meta would probably take some considerable
> work.

We did something similar when Simple English Wikibooks was closed and its
content merged to English Wikibooks [1].

I note that there's been protest on the discussion page that the content
would be out of scope for Meta, however.  This reminds me when content was
pushed from Meta to Wikibooks [2] for MakerFaire 2010 [3], supposedly with
the blessing of stewards and Cary Bass [4].  This content is "out of scope"
for Wikibooks, especially given its encyclopedic format, but it goes to show
that a project's scope can evolve.  Wikibooks used to host video game
strategy guides, for instance (and had a lot more visitors as a result).

-- Adrignola

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Simple_English_merger
[2] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MakerFairePedia
[3]