[Foundation-l] No tail-lights. What do we do now? (was Call for referendum)

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 09:23:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.rs> wrote:
> Ah, but you don't return when you click on a link that exists both on
> Wikipedia and another wiki.

Not only that, but you miss out on a huge set of features.  You can't
have shared user account names across wikis, you can't use templates
across wikis.  Userspace isn't unified--  and most of all, it's very
difficult for a "normal person" to start a wiki, even if they have
their own time and money they want to donate to the fledgling project.

Not being part of Wikimedia is an unnecessary barrier to communication
that makes it hard for everyone to get things done.    We can remove
these barriers through technological innovation, but also just by
being more openness to third-party-projects projects that are 'non
inconsistent' with our mission.