[Foundation-l] Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too?

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 17:09:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 15:34, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:
> the Wikimedia movement is like a big family. Even though we sometimes
> quarry with each other but especially in time like this we are all with
> you. In the last days I often think back of the hospitality from all of
> you to so many Wikimedians from all around the world back in Alexandria.
> Read your line about following TV ans Twitter also reminds me of June
> 1989 when I followed radio news hour after hour for every news through
> sleepless nights. Back then, very alone, without the community that
> gathered here.

I have similar feelings...

It is not the same when you are worried about people which you don't
know personally; and people which you know. For the most of my life,
the most of people which I know were living in Belgrade, but Wikimedia
movement has changed my perspective.

For the first time I've realized that people which I know may be in
problem after L'Aquila earthquake. Then, a number of other events
followed: Iranian protests and present Egyptian protests, but also big
smoke in Moscow and recent Brisbane floods. Even financial crisis in
Ireland makes me to think about my Wikimedian friend there. And
whenever I hear about severe weather conditions somewhere in US, I am
thinking do I know anyone there. I mean, it is not the same to me to
hear about protests in Tunisia, Jordan, Egypt or Iran. I know
Wikimedians from Egypt and Iran.