[Foundation-l] Making wikimediafoundation.org more open to contributions

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 20:33:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Aaron Adrignola
> <aaron.adrignola at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree that the edit restrictions on the WMF wiki are very
>>> unfortunate and there's still much more that can be done (perhaps one
>>> day leading toward www.wikimedia.org as a single information,
>>> collaboration and discussion hub, subsuming both WMF and Meta, and
>>> possibly other backstage wikis).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Erik Möller
>>> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation
>>>

>> Perhaps have Meta: Strategy:, Outreach: Usability:, Tech:, and Wikimania*:
>> namespaces to replace the separated sites in existence today.  The main
>> space could cover wikimediafoundation.org content.  Wikimedia: for meta-wiki
>> discussion.  Or any variation on that.  At the least, there is no need to
>> keep creating new wikis for Wikimania if you properly tag content for the
>> year it applies to.
>>
>> -- Aaron Adrignola
>
> Here, here, for the namespace solution!
>
> There is a lot of flexibility in degrees of differentiation and
> control of namespaces that is really underused as a tool, and could
> help us get a really integrated and useful 'wiki to rule them all' for
> Wikimedia organizational purposes.

+1 for a single wiki with differentiated namespaces for all of these topics :)

I think it would do us a lot of good to be able to recombine all of
these topics so when we are looking for a calendar or a presentation
bank or a list of media or whatever there is ONE place to go, not
five. Such a solution would make it easier to fold separate wikis
(such as a conference wiki) back into Meta when we were done with
them, too.

My solution to the challenge of combining everything would be to have
a global edit sprint -- "meta-cleanup-and-merge editing party
weekend!"

-- phoebe