[Foundation-l] Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:45:21 UTC 2011

On 28 January 2011 12:24, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Wikimedia movement does not have and should not have a position on
> the current situation in Egypt. While you view your suggestion as us
> taking the side of free information, it would be perceived as taking
> sides in the more general conflict that is going on, and we can't do
> that.

Even then, I don't think there'd be a consensus to do so. e.g. the
Great Firewall of China - our response to that is to just keep doing
what we're doing, writing a neutral encyclopedia and keeping it
available.

The idea of getting samizdat copies of Wikipedia into Egypt appeals.
Airlift in current-article dumps of ar:wp and en:wp on SD cards by the
thousand?

- d.