[Foundation-l] Community maps

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 01:09:57 UTC 2011

On 28/01/2011, at 1:42, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> how we don't really have a good global calendar of activities
>
> This is true.
>
>> Wikiverse, and I think this falls into the same category... we don't really
>> have a good global "what has happened/will happen near me?" map.
>> However... it's probably deceptively tricky to get this up and running on
>> MediaWiki??
>
> By 'running on MediaWiki' do you mean 'embeddable in a wiki page (via
> an extension)'?
>
> SJ

Sort of... Ideally it would be nice to be able to host and edit such a map right from within Meta (or wherever the map was placed on our projects) whilst logged in. But I can only guess that to do that would be extremely difficult to achieve. Embedding the map on our projects with an extension but hosted and edited elsewhere would be more feasible I guess, but also means we have to go to a non-wikimedia site to be able to edit it. This is not a big deal or anything but it would be nicer to have it "in-house".
[I'm quite willing to admit up front that I don't know the tech at all, so might be on a completely irrelevant track, in which case feel free to ignore me :-) In any case, it's still a good idea IMO.]

-Liam