[Foundation-l] Translatewiki illustrates how low internationalisation is in the priorities of the Wikimedia Foundation

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:22:58 UTC 2011

2011/1/27 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il>:
> 2011/1/27 Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com>:
>> Before Translatewiki existed it was possible for Wikimedia/Wikipedia
>> users to improve the translation of the Mediawiki software's message
>> used on their project into their own language.
>>
>> It is no longer possible now,
>
> As Chad said, it's still possible and it's often done in many wikis.

It's even recommendable to do it. The messages on TranslateWiki should
be generic and without internal links, because they might be used on
different websites. These messages can be improved by introducing
internal links and references to wiki* policies.

>> * Or open an account on a non-Wikimedia project, which means providing
>> non-Wikimedia managers access to your personal data. That means you
>> are loosing the guarantees of
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy (the guarantee that
>> your data are accessed only exceptionally and in such exceptional
>> cases, always handled by people trusted by the Wikimedia Foundation)
>
> Translatewiki.net has a privacy policy, too.

That's one of the reasons I proposed the implementation of an open-id
provider using the Wikimedia login (i.e. being able to login to
translatewiki and other websites using your wikipedia password)

>> I ask the Wikimedia Foundation to support people involved in
>> translation work, rather than expell them to non-Wikimedia projects.
>
> I do hope that the collaboration between Translatewiki.net and the WMF
> will become tighter, but there's nothing terribly broken in the way
> things work now.

Still, it would make sense to allow some trusted user svn access to
the translations. Bug 24951 is open for 6 months now because some of
the translations aren't automatically updated and the review backlog
hasn't reached the relevant revision.

Strainu