[Foundation-l] Questions about new Fellow

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 05:21:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM, whothis <whothith at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume you probably
> had some say in selecting the current Board Member from India since you
> announced his appointment

Even though this is tangential to the main discussion, let me explain the
process through which I was appointed to the Board of Trustees in March
2010.

As I understand it, several names were given to the board committee dealing
with this appointment, including mine.

I then went through the following six interviews in this order:

1)Headhunter/recruitment firm from San Francisco (phone - I live in India)

2)Michael Snow, then WMF board chair (in person in SF)

3)Kat Walsh, WMF board member (in person)

4)Stu West, WMF board member (in person)

5)Sue Gardner, ED, WMF (in person)

6)Jimmy Wales, board member (Skype)

I was then offered a position on the board.

Achal did not announce my appointment on the Foundation list, Michael Snow
did. (Also, I'm a woman: 'her' appointment)

Achal mentored me into the India part of the role, introducing me to the
community via the India list and offlist, and the chapter board via a
separate list - and did some serious handholding in the first three months.
I am truly grateful for that - it helped me find my feet much more quickly
than I would have had I been trying to fit the pieces together on my own.

Best
Bishakha