[Foundation-l] Questions about new Fellow

Barry Newstead bnewstead at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 21 22:42:54 UTC 2011

A few things to add to this thread:

1. Achal has been a very helpful advisor (among several) to me as I've
launched WMF's work in India. In addition, he has been helpful in the
formation of the chapter in India, the chapter formation process in South
Africa and has shared some perspectives with ChapCom, where he was invited
to advise them by the committee.  He has done so as a volunteer who has
dedicated valuable time (like all contributors to the movement) to support
our collective goals in India and around the world.  He has not received nor
expected any special power or remuneration for this help. I, personally,
have found him to be an excellent advisor and not someone who expects
anything in return. As it relates to hiring in India, I invited him to
advise me (along with Bishakha) because I have come to value his
perspectives on the merits. We were clear that the role was advisory and
while I took some of his advice, we differed on some questions.  Note: WMF
staff other than myself also interview candidates and ultimately the
decision is made based on the recommendation of the hiring manager with
Sue's approval (she meets all candidates).

2. I would not characterize the Fellowship as a staff position.  Achal
proposed a very specific project for which he was provided a grant. He is
responsible for the successful completion of the task and will not have
other responsibilities or privileges associated with employment.  This is
why it was handled like a grant, as the same expectations for carrying out
the proposed activities rest on all grantees - whether an individual,
chapter or other group. We evaluated the grant based on the potential for
contribution to the movement.

3. There is room for improvement in our processes at WMF as Erik suggests
earlier. For one, we have used the title of Fellowship for different types
of activities e.g., hiring someone on a contract for general staff-like
purposes, providing a grant to someone for a specific activity.  We should
figure out how to distinguish between these (and other roles) more clearly.
 In addition, I am planning on introducing a community input mechanism into
the grant process for 2011/12.  We have piloted grantmaking over the past
two years and I think it is a valuable tool for the community to secure
funding for work that requires money.  It will be valuable to have input
from the community on grants before we make decisions on them. This will
improve the quality of grantmaking across the board - expect to hear more
about this in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Barry
P.S. Sorry if I don't respond to follow up questions quickly, I'm actually
on vacation ;)

Barry Newstead
Chief Global Development Officer
Wikimedia Foundation