[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wired on the Spanish mutiny

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:21:57 UTC 2011

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-01/20/wikipedia-spanish-fork?page=1

Interesting. This article could be titled "Spanish Fork: In which
Edgar Enyedy made Wikipedia what it is today." Who knew his unilateral
decision to take things out of context and proportion was the crucial
determining factor in the future of the English Wikipedia and the
Wikimedia Foundation?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 January 2011 17:24, Charles Matthews
> <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I do think that the early history of WP is quite a good example of why
>> we need historians, not just more self-serving memoirs. Even then I
>> doubt we'll fully understand why things turned out the way they did.
>

> I must say, I found it made things a lot clearer to see that it was
> Larry Sanger. Who, in his 2011 reply, insisted advertising was the
> right idea *even though it made an entire language community get up
> and leave*. Such community management skills are truly remarkable.
>

> - d.

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate