[Foundation-l] Questions about new Fellow

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Jan 21 18:10:57 UTC 2011

David Gerard wrote:
> You started in attack mode and continued in attack mode. This is not a
> good way to get anyone to bother talking to you.

I made an effort to not start in attack mode, as it were. I asked questions
and hoped that out of all the noise that would come in the replies, there
might be a few responses. And there have been one or two responses, but the
major questions remain unanswered.

> No-one is in fact obliged to respond to you on foundation-l, indeed
> many WMF employees and WMF and chapter volunteers don't read it,
> referring instead to it as troll-l. It would be nice if this weren't
> the case.

Completely agreed. Does that mean that nobody should use foundation-l as a
venue to ask Wikimedia Foundation-related questions? Do you have an
alternate venue that would be better? If people working for Wikimedia don't
read this list, it's to their detriment, in my opinion. But it's not as
though it's ever going to be mandatory reading.

> Approaches such as yours, which merely makes you look like you're out
> for a fight, are why. Please reconsider.

I'm really not out for a fight, not being a person looking for a job at
Wikimedia in India. I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do try my
best to express the concerns of others and myself, particularly when others
feel that they do have something to lose by interjecting themselves.

You (David) seem to biting around the edges here, but looking past the
nobility of Achal's research project or my tone, there might be more serious
issues to address and examine here.

MZMcBride