[Foundation-l] Future donation drive suggestion

Chris Lee theornamentalist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 03:41:24 UTC 2011

Hello,
I received an email earlier today, in which the person who was the subject
of an article I wrote last year decided to make a donation to the WMF.
Excerpted from the email:

"Has it occurred to the people running Wikipedia that some people might
think Wikipedia is affiliated with Wikileaks?
It would be an easy mistake to make, and even I balked because I am totally
anti-Wikileaks.
I found a page Wiki stating you were not affiliated, but you should really
include that info with your donation requests.

I suspect thousands of would-be donors did not donate because they were not
totally sure and didn't want to take the chance.
Please pass this piece of info onto the people in charge, because I think
it's a really important point to stress!"

Regardless of how I feel on the matter, this person does make a good point.
I have come across many people who view Wikileaks as irresponsible and
dangerous. Calling out our non-affiliation with Wikileaks on the donation
page seems fairly drastic. However, because this may be a common
misconception, clarification should be made *somewhere*.

Chris