[Foundation-l] fundraiser suggestion

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:46:28 UTC 2011

I liked the idea of clearly indicating what the current amount of
funds would go for and what the next major funding milestones are.
(Sorry, whoever it was who posted this initially as an alternative to
things becoming "urgent" - I'd cite your post but I didn't find it
upon looking again!)

The thing is, that might not work to bring in the bucks the same way
"urgent" does.

Maybe in light of the comment about Pareto: there are going to be a
few people who can contribute a lot (including non-monetary
contributions) and many who can contribute a little (again, including
both monetary and non-monetary contributions).

Those who want to contribute "a lot" in terms of hands-on involvement,
volunteer hours, and so forth, would probably be very well served by
clear links to the "thermometer" or a clear indication of project and
fundraising milestones.  Those who just want to contribute X amount of
money because it makes them feel good have no need for that stuff.

Obviously we're talking about *fund*raising here, but it's still a
good time to look for ways to increase non-monetary contributions,
possibly including connecting with those users who would prefer a
"co-op" model to a "charity" model.