[Foundation-l] Friendliness (was: Missing Wikipedians: An Essay)

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 20:37:10 UTC 2011

In a message dated 2/27/2011 12:26:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dgerard at gmail.com writes:

> The scope was supposedly textbooks - how-to books.

The problem I see with free books is just that you really need something
that says... this is WHY you, the contributor would put in this amount of
effort here.

With Wikipedia, I can contribute a word here, a sentence there, parse some
grammar over there, fix a bad phrasing, add a source... all to seven
articles and call it a day.

A book takes an awful lot of effort.  And then I give it away free to the
world.  Sorry I'm just not seeing that.

Some has been some effort on Knol to create books and collections.  The
books are not official but the collections are an official tool, even if the
results are not.

So on Wikibooks for example, I could create my own How-To Home Repair, and
collect *chapters* contributed by a dozen people into a *book*.

So what we should have created it not Wikibooks with which to start, but
Wiki...How or WikiChapter or something small, that a person could actually
accomplish.

I suppose... maybe I'm just rambling.

But just the name Wikibooks doesn't sound to me like How To, it sounds like
150 to 1000 pages on an overarching topic of some kind.