[Foundation-l] Genisis of WMF Identification policy?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 22:58:13 UTC 2011

________________________________
From: Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>
Cc: Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>
Sent: Fri, February 25, 2011 3:51:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Genisis of WMF Identification policy?

It should be clear and transparant why the WMF is collecting this
information, and what they intend to do with it. If they want to be able to
sue people - fine, but then just say that. Then people know what they are up
against, and what the reasoning is. That way alone volunteers can make their
rational decision. But also chapters, because it might have quite some legal
complications if the WMF wants to force a chapter to submit private data
about one of their members because they want to sue this person.

The problem with is that none of us can imagine all the future possibilities
that could occur.  The WMF can't know what they could be up against.   So how
can they possibly tell you what they can't know?

You seem to suggest the WMF suing someone is an extreme thing.  But what is
really extreme is asking WMF to vow *not* to sue anyone. Lets say they do this
and imagine if a checkuser User:Foobar publishes private information on their
blog obtained as a checkuser. Someone whose privacy was violated identifies who
User:Foobar was through their blog; sues them and wins.  User:Foobar sues WMF
claiming something frivolous about not protecting them from the situation and
loses. Because of the vow WMF cannot counter-sue User:Foobar for lawyer fees and
court costs even though WMF does not even need to the recorded identification
provided through the policy in this case because User:Foobar identified themself
in the lawsuit they filed against WMF.

Also the privacy policy is a joke without the identification policy.  Say
checkuser User:Foo breaches the privacy policy and rightly loses checkuser
rights.  There is no record available to WMF identifying  RealName as User:Foo.
So RealName retires User:Foo and registers User:Bar who is then able to become a
checkuser. Is this truly a responsible privacy policy when there is no way of
preventing those who have abused their access to private data from once again
obtaining access to private data?

As I said in my first email.  There are valid concerns about the identification
policy that must be resolved.  However, deciding to indefinitely give
unidentifiable people access to private data can not be an option.  It just too
irresponsible.  This is *my* private data you are all playing with.  I won't get
to have *your* private data in return, but you can at least give it the WMF to
act as a responsible party protecting *my* interests. I understand that you need
some safeguards about security at WMF Office or WMF Chapters. However if you
won't be comfortable with any possible procedure where they could keep *your*
private data, then stay away from *my* private data.

Birgitte SB