[Foundation-l] Friendliness (was: Missing Wikipedians: An Essay)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 17:17:07 UTC 2011

On 26 February 2011 16:43, Pronoein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:

> What bothers me is that you talk about in terms of us and them as if
> they were aliens. It's good to ask about the ideals of a community, but
> it's even best when you share their ideals.

The ideal is tuna too in this context.

I don't mean to set up an "us" and "them". I am one of said volunteers.

However, I don't think anything I wrote was in any way incorrect. If
you lament a lack of volunteers, you need to attract them, and to do
that you need to actually think and work out what would attract them.
This requires understanding the process.

What in what I wrote was actually not how volunteer motivation works?
In the blog post I listed examples from my experience; discounting
these will require you to give more than "I'm reading what you wrote
as 'us' and 'them'."

- d.