[Foundation-l] Genisis of WMF Identification policy?

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Fri Feb 25 21:51:50 UTC 2011

Hi Birgitte,

thank you for finding that link. I know it has been discussed, but was not
able to find the discussions.

The main reason why I asked for the reasoning behind the policy was not so
much because I was shocked (I was surprised by their choosing of
communications etc, not so much by the choice itself) but rather to be able
to make some estimates. The WMF has been collecting this information for a
long time already of course of stewards and checkusers - and they already
have my ID-copy for example. However, there were talks about identifying to
a chapter, and it also is a very big group to suddenly force to do this
based on only a policy which no employee was able to explain to me the
reasoning behind. If we don't know those reasons, even if we can look it up,
we might want to reconsider the policy as well - because maybe times have
changed and there is no need for it, or a different need.

It should be clear and transparant why the WMF is collecting this
information, and what they intend to do with it. If they want to be able to
sue people - fine, but then just say that. Then people know what they are up
against, and what the reasoning is. That way alone volunteers can make their
rational decision. But also chapters, because it might have quite some legal
complications if the WMF wants to force a chapter to submit private data
about one of their members because they want to sue this person.

Therefore I am glad that the staff is taking this back to the board (I
presume) and that there will be a clarification on these points. I do think
that we still need a formal answer from the WMF about why they gather this
information - not because this new influx of to-be-identified people, but
also for the people currently identified for other functions.

With kind regards,

Lodewijk