[Foundation-l] Friendliness (was: Missing Wikipedians: An Essay)

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Feb 25 00:44:49 UTC 2011

Samuel Klein wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:33 AM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> Samuel Klein wrote:
>>> tl;dr:  we can attract thousands of new contributors with almost any
>>> combination of skills and availability, if we ask nicely.
>>
>> Hmm, prove it. :-)  You talk a good game and I'm not sure you're wrong, but
>> I haven't seen much to suggest that you're right.
>
> The design of an effective request / campaign for a certain type of
> contribution likely takes a significant amount of time and tweaking,
> and a body of people available to respond to the initial interest
> generated.

Forgive me, but I'm still a bit lost here. Are you saying you can or can't
crowdsource your crowdsourcing? The initial comments were about red herrings
and the illusion of finite resources. Now you're pointing at resource
limitations that exist before we can even get more resources? Is that about
right? (Yes, it's still turtles all the way down.)

MZMcBride