[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Wed Feb 23 15:33:33 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 11:08 AM, Lodewijk wrote:
> Therefore, a license should apply to all mediums to make the content truly
> re-usable. It should not matter what you do with the content to "publish" it
> - print it, shout it on the street or for all I care you take an airplane
> and draw it in the air: the same free license should apply.

Perhaps a solution could be some sort of a charter or joint statement by
relevant and respected organizations (WMF, CC, FSF...) on how different
aspects of different licenses apply in various scenarios.

For example, CC license states that if you distribute the Work you must
provide "reasonable to the medium or means you are utilizing" the name
of the original author, the URI associated with the work etc. Such a
statement could clarify what is exactly considered reasonable.