[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Wed Feb 23 10:08:34 UTC 2011

Just to make a clarification:

If you have copyright on a "thing" (with the lack of a better word) in one
medium, you also have it in another. If a text or image is copyrighted in
print, it is copyrighted online. That is what I meant with universal in this
context, sorry if I was confusing.

Therefore, a license should apply to all mediums to make the content truly
re-usable. It should not matter what you do with the content to "publish" it
- print it, shout it on the street or for all I care you take an airplane
and draw it in the air: the same free license should apply.

Of course I am aware of all kinds of problems in copyright legislation and
how it sucks, I know that countries have different laws, one worse than the
other. But solving that would probably be slightly over
stretching ourselves.

Best,

Lodewijk