[Foundation-l] Friendliness (was: Missing Wikipedians: An Essay)

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Feb 23 08:33:32 UTC 2011

Hello SJ, and all the others,

I think SJ's mail has a lot of points. And I think the most important
thing is not to talk about this, but to change one's own attitude. Most
people who are talking here are also the most heavy contributors in our
projects, and as these, they have a heavy mindsetting function in the
projects. And if everyone of us work in our projects in another way as
earlier, this would have an impact in the project. This is exactly what
I do in my home project, zh-wp. Earlier it was also for me a easy one to
say: Hey, this is spam, speed delete. But meanwhile I see this in a
different way. Speed deletion is initially introduced to battle against
deliberate destructive behavior. Deliberate spam is such a behavior, so
there is need to speed delete deliberate spam. But a new user who put in
an article about a product is not necessarily deliberately spamming. It
is far more important to tell him what he did wrong and give him the
chance to improve his article. So meanwhile I got to change my own
behavior. If a user is not proven to be a notorious spammer, I would not
speed delete his contributions. I would tell him his article is
considered too one sided and as an advertisement. As such it would be
deleted in seven days. But he can try to improve it, so that it would
not be deleted. And I try to convince other patrolers and admins to do
the same. The same is with badly formated new articles. They tend to be
considered as destruction and tend to be speedy deleted. If I see them
now I try to make a few formattings so that they don't looks really
ugly, and try to find a category for them, so that they would not be
speed deleted because they are uncategorized.

Yes this all makes more work for me, and I cannot say if it really pay
back, if more new editors would stay. But my hope is, and I fancy that I
do have some success, that this changes also the behavior of other
admins and patrolers, at least some of them. And they would change other
people's behavior.

So this is really something that everyone of us can really change, by
changing our own behavior. And there is no reason not to do it just now.

Greetings
Ting