[Foundation-l] help on usability initiative sandbox wiki

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 21 08:27:31 UTC 2011

Greetings,

Le lundi 21 février 2011 à 02:49 -0500, Risker a écrit :

> Unfortunately, the absence of SUL means that global IP blocks also do not
> have effect.  This IP has been globally blocked for 11 months already. This
> would support MZMcBride's proposal that these "specific purpose" wikis be
> rolled into Meta.

Although I'm all for merging specific-purpose wikis, in this specific
case it's definitely not desirable: these are prototype wikis, and they
are (or were) running bleeding-edge code.

The reason they're separate is because developers want to test (and
show) their latest code, and not be afraid to completely break the wiki
where they're testing it. You wouldn't want Meta to be the place where
experimental code is run.

As a steward, I appreciate the dedication of those who help fight
cross-wiki vandalism, but it's not necessary to do so on the prototype
wikis; they will be disposed of in the end anyway.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Product manager - Wikimedia Foundation