[Foundation-l] VPAT

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 13:09:26 UTC 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 5:36 AM, FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Spreading free knowledge implies a good free knowledge infrastructure,
> including reputable free knowledge tools. We don't need the US govt
> to use
> any given software, it pays to make it as widely usable and not block
> ourselves from any major group who might want to try using Mediawiki.
>
> Not least 1/ the US govt is not the only such body (other groups
> receiving
> federal funds?) and 2/ we ourselves have a genuine interest in
> ensuring we
> think hard how those with disabilities experience Wikimedia in
> everyday use,
> when creating our platform.

+1

Free knowledge for everyone is a key part of our mission, and everyone
certainly includes the blind and those with other disabilities. And
wikipedia is something that supposedly "anyone can edit".

Section 508, widely used beyond government, is a benchmark to allow us
to assess how we do in this regard.

Since the US gov already uses mediawiki, know we have some admins that
use a screen reader, know mediawiki supports keyboard shortcuts, etc.,
then I think we do pretty well to meet 508 though an assessment might
identify some additional bugs.

I would totally support us doing a VPAT (its voluntary) assessment and
have it available on mediawiki wiki.

Katie (@aude)