[Foundation-l] VPAT

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 10:55:17 UTC 2011

Hoi,
The United States government uses MediaWiki in several places. When you
consider that most of the money donated to the Wikimedia Foundation is given
by Americans and, when you consider that complying with a standard for
usability is something that is a strategic goal, I do understand your pov
but I do not agree.

What we can do is check out to what extend we already comply. Given that we
have several visually impaired editors even admins, the quality of our
software is not that bad. Understanding what needs to be improved to comply
with a standard like VPAT gives us a measurable goal to realise what is a
strategic goal.

By inviting the American government to work with us on this, we may even
find that given that MediaWiki is Open Source / Free Software the government
will do the testing for us.

All in all, I advocate to use the question "to what extend does MediaWiki
comply with VPAT" as an opportunity.
Thanks,
      GerardM