[Foundation-l] An agenda for the meeting of the language committee

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:37:28 UTC 2011

Hoi,
In Berlin, in parallel to the MediaWiki <http://mediawiki.org/> hackathon,
members of the language
committee<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_committee>of the
Wikimedia
Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/> will meet for a first time in
real life.

As I read the roster of the people who may attend, I am amazed at their
qualifications. All people are involved in their
Wikipedias<http://wikipedia.org/>in the
Incubator <http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>, they are
linguists, standard people, a script expert, Wikimedians.

The first line of our business will be to evaluate what we do. We will get
to know each other better and we will talk endlessly about language,
Wikipedia and what not.

You can help us be more focused by suggesting topics to our agenda. Anything
goes and when we understand the issue raised, we will attempt to formulate
an opinion. When such an opinion is actionable, we will raise it with the
people that can make a difference.

The topics may be all over the map and they do not need to be confined to
the language policy<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy>or
even the Wikimedia Foundation. When there are issues in MediaWiki, we
may
pop over to the people at the Hackathon and ask their opinion.
Thanks,
      GerardM