[Foundation-l] Missing Wikipedians: An Essay

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 01:00:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 February 2011 23:24, aude <aude.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Heather Ford, a former Wikimedia advisory board member and
> researcher/writer
> > in South Africa has written an essay, "The Missing Wikipedians" about
> > systematic bias on English Wikipedia (especially) against new users and
> > topics pertinent to Africa and other diverse places/people.
> >
> > As an example, she cites the English Wikipedia article [[Makmende]] and
> the
> > deletion request made, biting the newbie.
> >
> > http://hblog.org/2011/02/16/the-missing-wikipedians/
> >
> > Please read and discuss.
>
> Author appears to be living in 2006 (deletionists vs inclusionists)
> and apparently this represents a clash between the two groups:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Makmende
>
> Where in practice it's a pretty standard if rather one sided AFD.

That was after the article was speedy deleted three times and the fourth
time.  They finally recreate the article with the edit summary "Introduction
of this superhero character -- this is not vandalism"

Then, Ethan Zuckerman blogged about this and chimed in on the article's talk
page, surely drawing attention and support in the AFD.

http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2010/03/24/makmendes-so-huge-he-cant-fit-in-wikipedia/

> >  What might we do to help make Wikipedia a more
> >  welcoming place for newbies
>
> Since they seem to be determined to read the listing on AFD process as
> deletion not much we can do. Some changes to
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Article_for_deletion/dated
>
> perhaps but keeping it within the current length could be tricky.
>
> >and for such diverse topics?
>
> Drop a prompt to add sources into the article creation process and
> make adding sources easy.

Before speedy deleting, how about tagging the article for needing sources,
leave the author a note on their talk page, and not be so quick to delete?

Cheers,
Katie