[Foundation-l] The matrix, reloaded (movement roles, or who does what in Wikimedia?)

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 16:45:09 UTC 2011

The thing is, I don't understand what it's saying, or that it is providing
any framework or useful information on the point of ""what roles exist and
who's covering them how", to the point I actually can't contribute. It
appears to say nothing.

I'm sure that isn't the case, but it is incredibly rare something is posted
as a community notice and I literally cannot make anything of it.

If a bare empty frame was created and users asked to fill it in, that would
be one thing. But the existing frame suggests some thought has gone into it
already. I just don't understand even the slightest, what thought that was
or what tentative results it reached.

By way of example, looking at the bare text of that page for "advocacy",
what conclusions were reached on who is covering what aspects of advocacy,
and to what extent, and what that area of operations involves? If some kinds
of advocacy will be handled by the office and others by chapters what
distinctions are important in that decision? Is advocacy (but not lobbying)
a major chapter activity or a minor one? Saying that WMF does do "advocacy"
and chapters "can but some might not wish to" is almost self-evident, so it
doesn't add anything knowledge-wise.

Ditto fundraising, what kinds of "support" is it initially anticipated might
be provided by "individuals"? And ditto what on earth does "business
partnerships" - "foundation" - "globally" mean and what does it say about
how business partnerships will be selected, created or managed, decisions
made about them, and choices about resources used on them?

Without that kind of level of data it's not possible to say whether the
conceptual structure being created is excellent, poor, has loopholes, can be
improved, or misses the point. It becomes a set of truisms or jargon.

FT2