[Foundation-l] Huge soapbox on foudantion-l tl; dr at bottom (was: Criticism of employees (was VPAT)

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 01:25:44 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

You are really off-base with that suggestion. Community-wise the staff exists to
support the Wikimedia communities in fulfilling the vision that the community
members developed for the WMF before there were enough staff to have anyone
assigned to a "Community Department:" department.  Their role is not to enable
enWP to overcome its unique brand of dysfunction, nor to enable any of the
communities with each of their unique dysfunctional aspects.

Experienced community members need to monitor their local wiki community pages
(maybe the Village Pump, maybe the Scriptorium. maybe Talk:Main Page), any
noticeboards that exist locally, any misc governance activity.  Obviously in
most cases their will be many members doing this rotating in in out of various
levels of activity over time.  These people need to work to ensure local
concerns, especially uniquely local concerns, are resolved locally.

However whether causally or in an organized fashion, that group of experienced
community pulse keepers would be wise to make certain they have at least one
person who is both assertive and comfortable with communicating in English
subscribed to Foundation-l.  In large communities that have a great deal of
mistrust at least one experienced member of each quasi-faction should probably
do this independent of the other quasi-factions.  Ideally these subscribed local
pulse-keepers should be able to keep the pulse of WMF solely by subscribing here
but it may be a good idea to watch-list certain pages on Meta with
email-alerts.  Currently Meta-Wikimedians are very good at alerting local
communities to anything relevant, but that always could change. Foundation-l is
very bad about alerting local communities in a timely fashion. Often someone
will post a decided opinion on the local wiki when the thread is in its
death-throes here.  This is just as much the result of the mailing-list moving
very fast as is due any lack of sensitivity among subscribers. Since more
sensitive people tend to move even slower than those who less thoughtful of
their tone, the first contact invariably ends up being from someone who is more
oblivious as to the effect the tone of their communication will have in the
local communities. So there especially a need for pre-emptive subscription.  So
the experienced members of local communities really need to subscribe and keep
the local communities informed of any WMF developments that may impact their
communities while people are still open-minded about the issue.  They also would
be wise to try and judge what local concerns seemed to be common across the many
communities plugged into foundation-l and decide if bring outside attention to
such concerns will do more help than harm.

I suspect that just like I did, many of the people here who resemble that
description of "pulse-keepers" have joined this list after someone with strong
opinions posted a notice locally about what they believed foundation-l had
decided was wrong with the way their community had been handling some issue.  In
my case, the thing which made me realize I needed to join list or else see en.WS
interests being trampled without much thought was David Gerard's posting his
take on the copyright considerations at en.WS with regard to the UK law
prohibiting Fox Hunting link to the foundation-l archives.  Of course everyone
at en.WS thought he was someone kind of official from the foundation, that the
discussions on this list were binding, and while being a little cross at the
tone complied right away with a swath of deletions.  Later we realized that he
was not so official after-all, nor is what is found in the foundation-l archives
any sort of edict, nor was the particular interpretation he espoused for the
copyright issue the complete story.  Many works were restored, people for a time
were very bitter and mistrustful towards outsiders and wanted more than anything
be non-communicative of local questions with WMF, as it seemed encouraging
*them* to ignore *us* was the best that could be hoped for from dealing with
WMF. I joined foundation-l to advocate for en.WS interests, to act as an
early-warning system for the community when en.WS was receiving attention, and
because I wished help create a framework where en.WS being ignored (i.e. left
alone) was not the best that could be hoped for from WMF. After a few more
experiences similar to the Fox-Hunting edict debacle I came to realize we were
still largely under-estimating how unofficial everything regarding foundation-l
really was and I became determined to do my best to advocate for all the
communities that have yet to discover how badly they will be trampled if they do
not keep the pulse of WMF for themselves.

There are certainly other things which foundation-l could be very useful for.
Many of them.  But the bridging issue is one that is rather hard to replicate
without foundation-l.  In some cases, where the correlation is strong chapters
have stepped in.  But universally speaking that is no more workable than asking
WMF to employ staff to track on the local discussions, noticeboards, and
governance pages on every project in every language.  I truly believe the
mis-communications that occur without such bridging does more damage to WMF than
anything else I can think of.  It is what led to the Spanish fork and it is why
people are laughed off of en.WS for attempting to directly tell us how to handle
an issue of almost any kind.

When people using the title of Wikimedian and referring the possible actions
they will have WMF take to ensure they are listened to have forced massive
changes in the communities . . . When community leaders coax, prod, and use
every bit of political capitol they can muster to get their community to buy
into said changes. . . When dedicated people leave or simply lose their previous
level of dedication over such changes . . .  And then it is discovered the
changes were unnecessary and may be reversed at will. And this happens once,
twice, three times.  That damage is immense.  I joined this list because the
sheer waste in cleaning up the first round of damage in a community I loved made
me quite angry . . . The guilt over falling for the same false arguments a
second time made me nauseous , , , And the derision shown toward outsiders who
tried to use those false arguments yet again made me pity them.  I have always
felt I was running interference here.  On one hand trying to prevent my
community from being trampled by some blind elephant and the other trying to
keep the elephant from stepping in the pile of shit one of their herd-mates
deposited they last time the herd was in our vicinity.   That is what the WMF
loses when they decide they would rather ignore troll-l.  They lose the help of
thoughtful people who can see the big-picture and are willing to run
interference to protect WMF.  Because it neither in WMFs interests to trample
its own communities nor to have its associates step in a big pile of elephant
shit.  But such people can be of no use when there is no warning given of what
is upcoming.

The occasions were I was unable to be of much use in a protective role were more
recent than not and didn't move through foundation-l.  Whether they incubated on
some closed list , on a wiki I merely don't frequent,  or they ran straight
through the gossip network to spring into life formed like Athena, I have no
idea.  But the incidents were ugly all around and no one walked a way happy.  In
regard to how much damage unofficial Wikimedians can manage, I think things have
gotten significantly worse.  When there is so little transparency over what
positions WMF is developing *anyone* can go to an unfamiliar communities and
convincingly claim that their pet decisions will be backed by a board resolution
if they really must go get one or that the wiki will be shut down by WMF if the
community does not adopt their pet reforms.  Such misguided Wikimedians can
actually believe these statements to be true.  I have heard both kinds of
statements more than once from several different people who were neither
stewards nor staff, in completely different circumstances.  I have no doubt that
those making such statements sincerely believed they could achieve what they
stated if it was really necessary. That is how opaque WMF operations and
developing positions are and how very long a time they have been opaque.
Reasonable, caring, intelligent dedicated, Wikimedians can be that misguided in
how things work. They can truly believe that there can be no relevant
information that they are missing. That there is no argument nor explanation an
unfamiliar community could present that would shift anyone's opinion in an open
discussion. That they believe the outcome of the dispute is so completely
certain that the community need not waste time further educating itself about
the dispute nor explaining their position to them, but just comply. It would be
funny if it were not so unbelievably sad.

For the record how things really work, when things are working well, is as
follows.  There is valid process. All  stakeholders understand the methods of
this process and  have access to  those who are responsible for implementing the
chosen method. The issues  working their way through the process are
consistently advertised and  updated through the same reliable channels.  In
order for the process to  be a valid process all advertised outcomes are
possible results. (i.e.  if anyone could truly know the result before the
process is applied then  it is not a valid process).  Whether that options are
that all content  classified as Foo is prohibited or accepted or accepted after
special  review, that Bar is banned from Wikiland inclusive overriding local
communities or not, or that X number of WMF offices will be opened in  cities
within either  A, B, or C.  No results that WMF is unwilling to  accept can be
offered as part of the process and no results that win through the  process can
refused by WMF.  If that process is that everyone has three  weeks to privately
email Sue Gardner their thoughts on five different   proposals and then she sits
down on Friday morning with her notes and  picks and announces  whichever
proposal she judges best by noon; that is  a valid  process.  Having a valid
process doesn't mean having a poll or a public  discussion or losing control
over the decision.  Just setting up basic  expectations and conforming to them.

A valid process can be as simple as a dictator deciding, but what makes the
process valid is that everyone understands *who* the dictator is, *where* the
dictator can be reached, *what* the dictator is pondering, and *when* the
dictator is going decide the issue.  Notice I left out why.  That point is
relatively unimportant and does not need really need to be explained when there
is a valid process, narrow the choices by weighted point system and then flip a
coin if the top choices that fall within a single point or be moved by passion
and organization of one particular advocate's email campaign.  It really doesn't
matter so long as the other information given for a valid process is accurate
and upheld.  People always say they care most about why when there is no valid
process, but they are mistaken.  People really care most about feeling that they
know who is in charge, that they have been heard, that  their preference had a
chance of winning, and that they can have confidence in when they will know what
is going to happen in the future.  Satisfy those criteria without even
explaining why and the largest majority of criticism will evaporate.  I don't
mean to say why does not matter at all.  But none of us would be if we where not
committed to a large number of the same basic principles.  So given the common
ground within Wikimedia, the why of decisions are relatively unimportant. Since
they are the most sensitive pieces and often impossible to be 100% transparent
about in public without disrespecting people, voiding contracts, scaring off
partners, etc.,  it is best to ignore that aspect beyond the general answer
(i.e. Why-to fulfill our mission provide the sum of all human knowledge to
everyone on the planet)  Focus on easy aspects of the process the bring no ugly
unintended consequences and watch the criticism of decision making evaporate
like morning mist.

And I am not recommending a dictatorial process.  First and foremost dictators
don't scale, so huge inefficiencies abound.  But the point is that if a dictator
can be set-up in a way the satisfies the *how* criteria of a valid process .
Any *how* for making decisions can be set-up as a valid process, different ways
of deciding different categories of decisions can all be set-up as a part of
valid process.  The point saying a valid *how* could be a dictator or flipping a
coin, is to show that WMF does not need to give up any control over decisions to
institute a valid process.  WMF only needs to plan and document whatever
decision process they are comfortable with to have a valid process.

Sorry for the massive soapbox here.  I don't know how articulate this really
turned out I have gone over it too many times now.  I wanted to offer my
experiences and observations.   I realize they are extremely subjective.  I
don't pretend that the samples of incidents I used to illustrate how my
experiences led me to hold the positions I do can only be seen in the way I have
interpreted.  I wrote what I recall, based most strongly on what I recall
*feeling*, about the events.  I did not check histories and verify things.  I do
not mean to suggest my viewpoint on these incidents is the authoritative account
of what happened.  I have merely described one of, surely, many valid viewpoints
of these events; the viewpoint that most deeply influenced me.  I know people
had good intentions and no one set out to cause the any harm.  I don't mean for
anyone to be embarrassed if they recognize themselves at all.  I don't know if I
should have taken out your name, David.  I thought about it after I realized I
never recalled as much detail about the other examples. But I left it because I
am so certain that you are thickly skinned.  I guess just natural that you
remember your first rude-awakening to some discrepancy between the world as you
initially imagined itt and, as I have seen on blogger name it, "Objective
Fucking Reality" much more strongly than the incidents where the discrepancy is
repeatedly confirmed. Even if the other incidents are more egregious.

tl;dr

 WMF making use of foundation-l to develop upcoming positions gains all parties
an early warning of problems and a chance for thoughtful people who care about
the big picture to help make mutually beneficial adjustments. . . Merely
announcing fixed decisions makes it more likely the WMF will commit itself to
some deeply flawed framework which the communities will fail to ever flesh out,
. . And hands the dialogue directly to the elements of the communities who have
quick, strong, and negative reactions to the decision . . . And empowers
misguided Wikimedians who are confident in their desired result and blinded by
short-term considerations to damage unfamiliar communities that do things
differently than such Wikimedians would prefer..

Plus this copied from above

For the record how things really work, when things are working  successfully, is
[...]

Birgitte SB