[Foundation-l] Criticism of employees (was VPAT)

whothis whothith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 18:44:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Christine Moellenberndt <
cmoellenberndt at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 2/17/11 8:29 AM, whothis wrote:
> >
> > If someone asks a question in a
> > conference publicly, you can't take them aside and answer individually
> and
> > expect that to satisfy the rest of the audience.
>
> Actually, I'd like to beg to differ here.  I have been to conferences
> where questions have been asked publicly to a panel.  If the question
> seems too off topic for the general audience, or too specific for the
> general audience, the panel member being questioned will generally defer
> to answering the question after the main panel discussion is over.  Then
> the two get together and talk it out "off-panel" if you will.  At least
> in my discipline, I've not seen anyone get upset over it (I'm usually
> grateful that it happened :) And oftentimes the asker is pleased as well
> because it gives more time to get their question answered fully).  If it
> was a question I was also interested in, I'll go and talk to the
> panelist/question asker myself as well.  Or, if the audience disagrees,
> someone else will chime up "Actually I'd like to know that too," or
> "That's a valid question that maybe should be answered here." And it
> goes into that forum.  But usually, it stays off-panel.
>
> Or maybe my discipline is weird :) (wait, I knew that already.)

hah...I was referring to proper mailing list etiquette. The explanation
above is rather lengthy to follow, let's just say I am not the only one
complaining here.

> > Just a thought here, but maybe the "Community Department," should
> actually
> > include some people from the community. I know it might be against
> > some super-secret policy of avoiding community members but at least the
> > "Community Department" could try including someone from the community.
> >
> You would be surprised to know how many people in the Foundation as a
> whole, including the Community department (and a BUNCH of the folks
> working on the fundraiser), come out of the community, including the
> Deputy Director and the Head of Reader Relations (who I report directly
> to) among others.  And even if we don't come out of THIS community, some
> of us come out of other online communities.  Which can give a fresh
> perspective and alleviate tunnel vision.  Which, to my mind, is all to
> the good.

Yes, the Deputy Director and the Head of Reader Relations, surprised you
stopped there, you could have added Steven walling to bring the total to 3
out of almost 60. That seems like the appropriate ratio. With all due
respect, alternative point of views brought in by other online communities
might be the problem here.

> -Christine
>
> ---------
> Christine Moellenberndt