[Foundation-l] Criticism of employees (was VPAT)

Alison M. Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Thu Feb 17 11:57:44 UTC 2011

> On 17 February 2011 08:47, Christine Moellenberndt
> (and by the way, this is just little me with a cat on her lap
> talking, not WMF employee talking)

Something which might be worth bearing in mind is that (sfaiaa!) everyone involved with the projects - staff and volunteer alike - use a consistent attribution. In many companies, where staff will have interactions with non-staff in a purely online environment, they are required to maintain two identities: one 'real' for 'official' work and one 'fake' when they want to interact as an individual. I certainly recall having to do this when working on msn and I believe that such official-but-sortof-sockpuppet is nowhere near as open as what WMF staffers are displaying, which is to all our (ie. us readers) benefit.

Alison

ps. Yes, I'm aware there have been specific exceptions to this in the past, but that was some years ago now.