[Foundation-l] Showing the difference between the sexes

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sun Feb 13 13:33:29 UTC 2011

To be absolutely clear: I am not against the feature, I am just
against applying it to every user that indicated his/her gender
without asking. Up to now (afaik) the male/female setting was only
used for communication *to* the user: that is private. To turn on
suddenly a feature that shows this also explicitely to the outside
world is a whole different thing.

Also, in some languages the difference between male/female maybe exist
if you search hard (like Dutch), but are not commonly used (like
gebruikster - I never ever heard that being used in common
conversations). I am just saying that we should not force these
changes on communities and groups of people without consulting them.
They know their language best and how common the term is, how it comes
across culturally etc. The fact that a term exists doesnt mean we
should use it. I also agree with Austin that it should be even better
to determine it as well on a personal level. But I would make it a two
level choice: first the community should decide to turn it on in the
first place in their wiki, then the user should decide to turn it on
in their individual case.

Lodewijk