[Foundation-l] [Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8]

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:51:20 UTC 2011

As far as I'm aware, as a long standing matter of practice, WMF sites
run the latest stable or development Mediawiki, as a matter of "eating
our own dog food". That implies that the notice was merely a courtesy
because the change was expected to cause downtime, rather than a point
of discussion. My understanding is barring technical problems caused
by an upgrade, individual projects have about the same chances to
switch their project to Microsoft Sharepoint as they do to hold back
an upgrade. This may seem unusual because everything else revolves
around discussion, but the developers and sysadmins need consistency
to be able to support as many projects as WMF hosts - otherwise they'd
probably be looking at having 2-3 devs for each project in each
language, which is simply unfeasible even with WMF's resources.

-Stephanie

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> What would more notice achieve ?
>
> The process of installing release 1.17 is important. It did not succeed for
> now but I hope it will be tried again when feasible. There are improvements
> in 1.17 where people have been waiting for for a long time.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On 8 February 2011 15:58, Bartol Flint <winters1c at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did this something to have do with the downtime today. I saw different
>> language project were not working at the same time. Some page still don't
>> look right. the box are broken and tools are not working.
>>
>> More notice earlier please. Thank you.
>>

>> --
>> Bartol Flint
>> Student
>> Erasmus University Rotterdam
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Guillaume Paumier <gpaumier at wikimedia.org
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > Concerns have been raised that this needed wider distribution. Please
>> > note that it will happen in about 10 hours from now.

Faith is about what you really truly believe in, not about what you
are taught to believe.