[Foundation-l] Reasoning behind identification policy

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Tue Feb 8 08:24:58 UTC 2011

Hello Lodewijk,

just from my understanding: If people take certain responsibilities in
behalf of the Foundation, especially if these responsibilities could be
related to private sphere, the Foundation takes certain legal
responsibilities for these persons too. And thus we need to know who
they are. This is a measurement of trust building.

We have no relation to US government. We would prefer to trust our
voluntiers, and not to sue them. But as everyone know, bad things
happen, unfortunately.

That's all, no more, and no less.

So far, my understanding.

Greetings
Ting

On 05.02.2011 19:53, Lodewijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> taking this as a follow up on the irc meeting today, one of the
> questions that came up was "what is the reason that WMF is
> collecting/storing this data". To be clear, with that we did not mean
> "because the board told us to" but rather what the purpose is: is it
> because you are legally required to store it for the US Govt, do you
> want to be able to sue the volunteers if they misbehave, do you want
> to confirm they are real people etc. Based on that, people can
> probably increase their understanding of the recent changes.
>
> The Foundation people on IRC were unfortunately unable to answer.
> Christine promised to find it out and report back here soon, so this
> is just a reminder - no need to have big discussions until then.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lodewijk

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/