[Foundation-l] "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Feb 7 12:25:41 UTC 2011

On 7 February 2011 12:13, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> This sort of thing would best be implemented as a gadget, which users
> can then choose to switch on with their chosen selection of places to
> post to.

This is the best approach, I think. Or, once out of testing, turn it
on by default with *no* services populated and have a little link to
turn it off / add services as people see fit.

> We would need to make sure there were no privacy issues. Users can of
> course choose to reveal anything they like to Facebook - but is there
> anything we would need to take care not to reveal inadvertently? Is
> there a way not to accidentally link their WP username to their
> Facebook real name, for instance?

Unless we take an active step to send out user details, or make it
possible to share diffs (which seems unlikely), the only practical way
to make such a link would be by sharing a "user-specific" page, like
your own talkpage. This seems quite an unlikely thing for someone to
want to do, but a plausible accident - so it would seem reasonable to
code the sharing function to only share things in the main & image
namespaces (and perhaps portals?) - traditional user-facing content.

(An elegant trick would be to have the "share" function for images
resolve to the Commons page rather than the local one, where
appropriate.)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk