[Foundation-l] "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 12:00:55 UTC 2011

2011/2/7 Przykuta <przykuta at o2.pl>

> > Wikinews has used these kinds of buttons for quite a while. They are
> placed in a "share this" box at the bottom of every article. See, for
> example,
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Egyptian_president_will_not_seek_re-election_in_September_after_protests
> >
> > For a while equivalent buttons were also active on Commons but they were
> turned off as it was unclear they had community support. I'm not aware of
> any Wikipedia edition that has used them though.
> >
> > -Liam
>
> But not every lang versions of Wikinews
>
> I think, like church of emacs, that identi.ca will be better + other cc-by
> (not nc not nd) media.
>
> przykuta

It will be better ideologically, and it will also be pointless, as no-one
outside the geek squad (that's us & co) know what it is or use it. The goal
of Twitter & Facebook sharing would be to advertise the content to the
public, and the effect would be extremely limited if we would only allow
identi.ca sharing. Like it or not, if we want to "advertise" the projects in
such a way, allowing Facebook and Twitter (as well as identi.ca of course)
is really the only sensible thing to do.

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by