[Foundation-l] "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:31:27 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011, at 20:21, "Amir E. Aharoni" <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> User:HalanTul from the Sakha Wikipedia asked me to ask about this here.
>
> The writers of the Sakha Wikipedia want to add icons to "share in
> Facebook/Twitter/etc" to some articles to promote the project, but
> they are concerned about the legal and ideological implications of
> such a move: Doesn't putting the logo of a commercial company right in
> the article violate the no-advertising principle?
>
> --
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> "We're living in pieces,
>  I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Wikinews has used these kinds of buttons for quite a while. They are placed in a "share this" box at the bottom of every article. See, for example, http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Egyptian_president_will_not_seek_re-election_in_September_after_protests

For a while equivalent buttons were also active on Commons but they were turned off as it was unclear they had community support. I'm not aware of any Wikipedia edition that has used them though.

-Liam

Sent from my phone.
Wittylama.com/blog