[Foundation-l] OTRS identification policy

Philippe Beaudette pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
Sun Feb 6 21:49:43 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Several people have raised important questions on this list about the identification policy as it applies to OTRS volunteers.

Together with interim counsel and other members of the community department, I have been reviewing our compliance with, and interpretation of, Wikimedia Foundation policies including the access to nonpublic data policy.  Based on a risk assessment, we decided that we needed more consistent identification of OTRS volunteers, and retention of identification data..

Both on the OTRS mailing list and here, people have rightly pointed out the complexity of this issue. More discussion is clearly needed, and we will therefore table the issue and review it in more detail with our new General Counsel, Geoff, and with the community, once Geoff has had an opportunity to be brought in and get acquainted with the community.

For those who have not sent identification yet, feel free to defer doing so. For those who have provided ID, we will destroy it on request (we may have to again obtain it if we finally conclude that retention is necessary).

pb

Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

pbeaudette at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

http://donate.wikimedia.org