[Foundation-l] Please add "Things You Cannot Do" and "Definitions" in Foundation Trademark Policy

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:08:37 UTC 2011

Sorry if you feel that I am repeating myself with trifles not worth to
bother the foundation list, but...

It seems that people have difficulties understanding the meaning of
"distribute unchanged Wikimedia content, including appropriate
attribution" at [[:foundation:Trademark Policy#Things You Can Do, a
Summary]] (1).

So I suggest to add a new paragraph, called [[:foundation:Trademark
Policy#Things You Cannot Do]], with:

* Anything that is not included in [[#Things You Can Do, a Summary]], including:

* Distribute any unfree WMF logo under a free license.

* Create adaptations or derivative works, which combine any unfree
WMF logo  with a share-alike-free license, because it violates the
terms of that license : see "You may not offer or impose any terms on
the Adaptation that restrict the terms of the Applicable License" in
article 4-b of http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode
.

Besides, I have the feeling, that  "distribute unchanged Wikimedia
content, including appropriate attribution" at [[:foundation:Trademark
Policy#Things You Can Do, a Summary]] may require an explanation why
this does not contradict "your website may not copy the exact look and
feel of any Wikimedia website" at [[:foundation:Trademark
Policy#Services Related to Wikimedia Projects]] (2). That apparent
contradiction between "unchanged" and "not copy" would be best solved
by adding the following at [[:foundation:Trademark Policy#Things You
Can Do, a Summary]] or at a new paragraph called
[[:foundation:Trademark Policy#Definitions]] :

*"Wikimedia content" : A) the central part of a collaborative wiki
website page, including text, images and other media files, excluding
the margin with the logo, the footer and any unfree header.  B) any
free file available from an internal download link on a File page.

Or we could replace the wording "Wikimedia content" by "Free contents
contributed by or uploaded by Wikimedia users, including bots".

(1) http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#Things_You_Can_Do.2C_a_Summary
(2) http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#Services_Related_to_Wikimedia_Projects