[Foundation-l] Fwd: BBC "5 Live Investigates"

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Tue Feb 1 23:51:11 UTC 2011

That seems generally consistent with typical practices on Amazon.com,
which are oriented toward maintaining a walled garden and avoiding any
kind of outbound link. It's really an extension of standard business
practice for any commercial distributor or middleman who doesn't want to
be cut out of a deal, and that's what Amazon is writ large. You can see
it in how merchandise from third-party sellers is handled. Even if
Amazon doesn't carry the item itself, and even if the seller with a
listing on Amazon actually has an independent website, everything about
the listing is structured to avoid any hint that such a website exists,
even to cover shipping terms or return policies. Unfortunately, this
philosophy also makes Amazon.com quite bad at standard practices for
giving credit where it is due. (And no, linking to IMDB doesn't count,
since they own it.)

--Michael Snow