[Foundation-l] Making wikimediafoundation.org more open to contributions

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:40:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 January 2011 20:33, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Such a solution would make it easier to fold separate wikis
>> (such as a conference wiki) back into Meta when we were done with
>> them, too.
>
> Why fold them into meta afterwards rather than just use Meta from the
> beginning? Isn't the whole point of the proposal that we stop creating
> new wikis for everything?

Yes, we should start with integrating the most amenable material (ie
the most stable/languishing material on side wikis) onto meta as a
first step in the project.

Changing the url from meta.wikimedia.org to plain vanilla
wikimedia.org would be one of the last steps, actually.

This should certainly be a multi-stage process, not something that's
done all in one blow, but it would definitely be good to start a
project for adapting new namespaces on meta soon.

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)