[Foundation-l] Article Feedback Tool 5 testing deployment

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 22 13:11:43 UTC 2011

That's correct, Tom. 0.3 percent of the English language Wikipedia is being
used as a testbed for the *rest* of the English-language Wikipedia; a
tertiary testbed, since we've already run things through on both prototype
and labs :). Obviously if we decide "lets deploy to other projects" we'd
take localised concerns into account, and not just jump in. With the last
version, interestingly, we had several projects *request* that we switch it
on.

On 22 December 2011 13:02, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 02:56, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
> <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, did a double-take there. Tell me I read that wrong, please! My
> > eyes must be deceiving me or my reading comprehension not being
> > quite up to the task right now... But some weird brainfart made me
> > read that in such a way that you were suggesting that the english
> > language wikipedia would be used as a test bed for what should be
> > deployed side-wide. Please tell me I am hallucinating, misreading
> > you grotesquely, or there is some other clear communication disconnect!
> >

> Site-wide means "on all of English" not "on all projects" (which would
> be "cross-wiki" or "cross-project"). Currently AFT5 is deployed on a
> subset of enwp articles (about 11,000) for testing. From what I can
> gather, there is a fairly long process of testing planned to see
> whether the deployment on English is an improvement on the existing
> AFT. After that process, if it is deemed to be an improvement and the
> objections have been fixed, then it is possible to offer it to other
> wikis.
>
> The small deployment on English will be used to inform the decision as
> to whether to roll it out fully on English, not on all projects.
>
> It's a fairly major change, so I think the Foundation are (correctly)
> being conservative in their rollout on English, and being careful to
> collect data to inform a community decision in the future. It's not
> suddenly going to turn up on projects other than enwiki without a lot
> more discussion and consultation.
>
> But then I've just been watching the process quietly from the
> sidelines: I may have got this all wrong.
>
> --
> Tom Morris
> <http://tommorris.org/>

Oliver Keyes