[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation's 2010-11 Annual Report

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 20 00:47:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Abbas Mahmood <abbasjnr at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: tbayer at wikimedia.org
>> Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:35:18 +0100
>> To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation's 2010-11 Annual Report
>
>> Just a quick note that the final proof has not been sent to the
>> printer yet; last-minute corrections to the printed version are still
>> possible today. I had set up an Etherpad to collect these at
>> http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/Ar201011fixes - at the moment, it only
>> contains the "Janvier" typo and one concerning the Arabic name for
>> Wikimedia Israel. Were you aware of other examples? Corrections to the
>> wiki versions will continue to be most welcome - it's part of their
>> raison d'être.
>
> Hi Tilman,
> I do have something to add. I can't make the edit on etherpad via my mobile, my apologies in advance:
> One of the donors is listed as Abdulla Al-Thani (whom I suppose is from Qatar). Unfortunately, this name is quite confusing for me since there are many people in the Qatari royal family who have the same name. Some include Abdullah (bin Khalid) Al Thani and Abdullah (bin Khalif) Al Thani -- both of whom are part of the Qatari government. I'm guessing that the person who donated this money is Abdulla bin Ali Al Thani (from Qatar Foundation). It might be good to indicate his middle name as well in the donors list, to avoid confusion.
> --Abbas.

Hi Abbas,

thanks for the interesting explanation, I agree that the middle name
could be quite relevant information. We looked into the matter, but
eventually there wasn't a sufficient basis at this point for changing
the name from the one that the donor gave us, or otherwise specifying
his identity further. (Respecting the WMF's donor privacy is quite
important. For example we also had to take care to honor the requests
of those few donors who did not wish to for their name to be
publicized, they are listed as "Anonymous" in the report.)

--
Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications