[Foundation-l] Smurfs Movie is infringing on wikipedia copyright

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 12:38:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess, this is just one of the times where things in Hollywood are a
> bit different than in real life. The students and kids will just have
> to realize that things in films are not always true to life...
> (Without having seen the movie, I guess a long sequence on proper
> licensing would have been very boring, and ad agencies in real life
> would have a legal team making sure the licences are alright and who
> would be sued if they aren't – it's not like they would take their
> cues from a short scene in a Smurfs movie.)

Ok. I understand that. Maybe I am getting upset over nothing, but when
it comes to shutting down people who copy small clips and snippets
from movies, it seems that the industry also shows no mercy.

Well, what about a 10 second sequence, "Oh we need to send this to the
legal dept to check the permissions on using the image".
So, do you think that wikipedia should allow its logo to be used in a
copy and paste exercise? Is it not the last bit of control that the
wikipedia has is the use of its name and logo in a way that goes
against the mission. Or is it such good advertising that we should be
happy to see wikipedia being used.
At least part of the article seems to have been a copy, even if the
image was a different one, it seems to me that at least parts of
creative commons licensed material was copied into the film images.

thanks for your opinions and feedback,
mike

--
James Michael DuPont