[Foundation-l] External free image repositories

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 16 23:24:14 UTC 2011

Typically the Foundation has been very reluctant serve any content that
is not under their control. There are two primary reasons for this:

* Security/privacy - This is mainly an issue for remote Javascript, but
also for images. Images can set cookies via their headers and thus be
used for user tracking.

* Stability - If a 3rd party service goes down, we have no control over
getting it fixed in a timely manner. This is one of the reason we don't
use ReCaptcha for our login captcha.

Ryan Kaldari