[Foundation-l] Regarding Berkman/Sciences Po study

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 05:28:00 UTC 2011

On 9 December 2011 22:51, Dario Taraborelli <dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> I’d like to give everybody on this list some information on the
> Berkman/Sciences Po research project that many of you have been discussing
> here.
>
> On Thursday the Wikimedia Foundation announced the launch of a banner to
> support a study led by a team at the Berkman Center/Sciences Po and
> recruiting participants from the English Wikipedia editor community [1].
> The banner was taken down within hours of its launch after concerns raised
> in various community forums (the Admin Noticeboard [2], the Village Pump
> Tech [3], various IRC channels and mailing lists such as foundation-l [4]
> and internal-l [5]) that the design was confusing, that it was perceived as
> a commercial ad and that the community approval process and privacy terms
> were unclear and hardly visible.
>
> Here’s what happened until the launch, what went wrong after the launch
> and what we are planning to do next.
>
> ==The prequel==
> This proposal went through a long review process, involving community
> forums, the Research Committee and various WMF departments since early 2010.
>
> The Berkman research team first approached WMF to discuss this study in
> January 2010. They suggested a protocol to recruit English Wikipedia
> contributors to participate in an early version of this study by March 2010
> and posted a proposal to the Administrators’ noticeboard to get community
> feedback [6]. The community response at that time opposed the proposed
> recruitment protocol (posting individual invitation messages on user talk
> pages). It was suggested instead that the recruitment should be handled
> through a CentralNotice banner to be displayed to registered editors, but
> concerns were raised on how to minimize the disruption.
>
> To address these concerns, the proposal went through a full review with
> the Wikimedia Research Committee, that was completed in July 2011. The RCom
> evaluated the methods, the recruitment strategy, the language used in the
> survey and approved the proposal pending a final solution for the
> recruitment taking into account the concerns expressed by the community [7].
>
> Based on suggestions made by community members (e.g. [8]) the research
> team started to work on a technical solution to selectively display a
> banner to a subset of registered editors of the English Wikipedia meeting
> certain eligibility conditions. WMF agreed to invest engineering effort
> into a system that would allow CentralNotice to serve contents to a
> specific set of editors –  functionality that would benefit future
> campaigns run by the community, chapters or the Foundation [9] [10].
>
> A new CentralNotice backend was then designed to look up various editor
> metrics (i.e. number of contributions, account registration date and editor
> privileges) – all public information available from our database – and to
> perform a participant eligibility check against these metrics. A banner
> [...]

Dario, nobody in any of the discussions on the English Wikipedia (whose
editors are the target of this research project) suggested that a *central
site notice* be used for this or any other research project.  The
discussion in April 2011 showed consensus opposition to bot-delivered talk
page notices. One editor involved in the discussion suggested "site
notices" (which I believe were interpreted by the participants to mean a
local site notice) and two others mentioned watchlist notices.  The
subsequent discussion about central notices discussed the possibility of
developing a narrowcasting ability for such notices, and discussed
specifically notices directly related to WMF projects or activities.  It
did not, in any way, address the concept of using a central notice to
promote a non-WMF activity (such as this research project). Indeed, this is
the first use of a central notice for anything not directly related to an
obviously WMF-related activity.

The ability to narrowcast central notices is a positive advancement;
however, the processes for proposing and determining the appropriateness of
a narrowcast are poorly publicized, and some of them don't appear to have
even existed until after this notice was taken down. There are still no
community-approved guidelines for the use of central notices, although a
draft one is currently up for comment.[1] An RFC initiated in August 2010
with respect to "global banners"/central notices, well in advance of the
development of the narrowcasting ability, strongly supported consensus
approval on Meta for non-fundraising global banners.[2] Now that there is
the ability to target central notices to only one project or community, it
is extremely important that that community be directly notified of such
discussion - a discussion that never took place in any public forum that I
can see in advance of this central notice being activated.

The links above include one to a private mailing list that the majority of
readers of this list have no access to. You may want to consider asking the
persons whose contributions are contained in that particular message to
grant permission for it to be reproduced here so that the rest of us aren't
left in the dark about who said what.

I don't begridge scholars carrying out approved research with Wiki?edians
who volunteer to do so; in fact, I've responded to several requests myself.
I do, however, have concerns about any research that expects to contact
40,000 editors and involve 1500 of them; that is a very significant portion
of our active editorship on the English Wikipedia project.  I'm curious to
know if scholars have shown much interest in studying some of the other
projects as much as they've initiated studies on enwp.

Risker/Anne

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice_banner_guidelines
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Global_banners